Sunday 27 January 2013

Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage.

But what about a garden wall?
A start on the garden wall at last!

Over the last few weeks I've read four books on building with stone.
I highly recommend all of them, if you're interested in such a project, or even a larger project!
In the company of stone - Dan Snow
The art of the stonemason - Ian Cramb
Stone Primer - Charles McRaven
Stone by design - Lew French

Whilst they all recommend using "suitable" stone for walling and if its not available, buying it in from a quarry, I have a different idea. (Yes I'm acutely aware how stupid that sounds. But I'm a teacher and therefore, I know best! tut tut..?)

I feel as though our outcrop can supply enough stone, all be it rounder then the recommended flat field or quarried stone. I would dearly like to be able to use material from our property and keep the loop closed as often as i can.
I will have to break up many, many stones and be careful in their placement but it'll be great to complete the work, whilst cleaning up our site a little. Our stone will suffice for the garden wall but none is useful for larger pieces like stair treads, mantels or lintels like I was hoping for.

The photo below represents my first efforts in moving some of our stone to a stockpile near the start of the wall.
The largest at the front I figure to be about 80kg or so.
How do you estimate the weight of a stone you can't lift?

In the coming week I hope to get a few 'feathers and wedges' perhaps for my birthday next week? A Rotary Hammer drill and see if i can open up a few of these. Many will be able to be used as is and I'm looking forward to the challenge.


Stockpile growing
I've held onto the pallet truck for the last three years since closing the timber shop. Glad i did! being only 100mm off the floor means i don't have to lift anything! just bar it on.
Speaking of barring! The first time in two years i picked up the cro-bar and within 5 minutes i had 8 sizable blisters!
soft much?
Owing to the lack of rain lately the pallet truck was great, i thought the wheels would sink in but the ground it so hard it rolls smoothing and i was able to tow this stone with one arm (all be it hard work)


No comments:

Post a Comment